[nagdu] Fwd: 5 Reasons Why Guide Dogs Are a Terrible Idea!

S L Johnson SLJohnson25 at comcast.net
Sat Mar 21 01:18:02 UTC 2015

    Hi Debby:

Very well said.   I know people will disagree but, when using a cane, I feel
like the stereotypical helpless blind person who taps taps along not being
able to find their way.  I know this isn't true because I'm an excellent
cane traveler.  Many O&M instructors have asked me why I bother having a dog
since I'm such a good cane user.  A cane can't find you the door, steps, a
seat or the correct bus.  A cane can't follow a person, you must take their
arm and be lead.  All I have to do is point to the person and tell my dog to
follow and we walk along with confidence knowing I will not lose the person
I'm supposed to be following.  With a dog, Even in unfamiliar areas, I step
out in confidence and pride knowing we'll arrive safely.  I love the
companionship of having a dog at my side.  With a cane you are feeling your
way not knowing what to expect.  With my dog, I know she'll find her way
through anything.  I live in an area where I have to walk through large
parking lots and in areas where there is no tactile landmarks.  The only way
to find our home is with my wonderful golden girls beautiful brown eyes and
intelligent brain.  Finally, I can't hug a stupid stick and love it for a
job well done.

Sandra and Eva