[nagdu] guide dog decisions, et.

Elizabeth Campbell batescampbell at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 14:20:18 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I havent' posted in a while due to a busy schedule, but I do want to respond
to a couple of posts here.

First, I got both of my dogs from The Seeing Eye. I like the school's
philosophy that we own our guides upon graduation. Yes, there is a nominal
fee, but it did not deter me from getting a dog. I also appreciate the
school's thorough training, especially when it comes to traffic and dealing
with the ever-increasing number of "quiet cars" on our roads.

Second, regarding Joe Orosco's post. I believe he wrote in a somewhat
tongue-in-cheek manner because he is trying to make a very personal choice
on what to do in terms of getting another guide. I responded to his post by
stating that while it is inconvenient to take our dogs out in snow or ice,
for me the rewards far outweigh the annoyances.

I brought up the quiet car example earlier. I can't tell you the number of
times that Gabe, my current guide, has pulled me away from driveways or
intersections where cars were turning in front of us. Even the gasoline
engines are quieter these days, and it is just more difficult to hear the
traffic.

There are lots of other advantages, but that is the one that comes to mind
at this point.

Have a great weekend all.

Liz