[nagdu] guide dog decisions, et.

Lisa dreamymarmot93 at yahoo.de
Sat Mar 21 17:58:54 UTC 2015

Hey all,

I enjoyed reading your priorities/preferences during the chosing process of
a school.
Since my school is Germany, no one will know it but I can tell you why I
decided to go there anyway.

It is the only guide dog school that does home training in Germany. This was
a huge advantage for me. And to me it also seemed clever to walk in a more
familiar area when everything else is so new. Taylor is my first guide dog
so I thought home training would be a good choice because I could crawl into
my own bed at night.

Apart from that, my school also has adult dogs only.
But most importantly, their philosophy on their website said alot about the
fact that a guide dog is never only something to help you with your mobility
but also always a dog, an animal with its needs and mannerisms. That you
become a dog owner as well as a guide dog handler. And that you can't expect
your dog to just guide you around nicely and then lie down until you need
them again.
Sadly enough, I had heard other things from other schools and other guide
dog handlers. And I wanted a dog just as much as I wanted a guide. So this
was the aspect that made me chose this school in the end.

Regarding the breed discussion: When I first got in touch with the school, I
had no real preference. The school trains goldens, labradors, German
shepherds, flat-coated retrievers and Schnauzers. The trainer recommended me
to get a labrador and explained that a Shepherd is not the best dog for a
beginner but if I had a strong desire to get a Shepherd, this wouldn't have
been a problem either. But since I was familiar with labradors and fell in
love with Taylor at first sight, the breed decision was easy.

Lisa