[nagdu] Fwd: 5 Reasons Why Guide Dogs Are a Terrible Idea!

Applebutter Hill applebutterhill at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 20:42:22 UTC 2015

I always tell people that if they aren't excited about having a dog as a
constant companion and partner and if they don't look forward to building a
relationship with and taking care of a dog, then they should consider a
cane. There are many cane travelers with great mobility and independence and
many guide dog users who don't take advantage of the independence they could
have with a dog. The difference is  how each individual feels about it.

I am upset when I meet or hear about a blind person who gets a dog as a
mobility tool and has no interest in developing a relationship with the
animal. Dogs are living, breathing, feeling beings and deserve for their
loyalty and help all of the love and care we can give them. I also don't
believe you can truly get the best out of the dog or yourself, if you don't
bond emotionally with the animal.
Donna & Hunter