[nagdu] Benadryl Alternative

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 21:56:46 UTC 2015

Daryl,
Benadryl suppresses the immune system, it does not make the body less
allergic or rectify the underlying cause of the allergy. When I say
cause, I'm referring to the internal imbalance that brings about the
body's inflamed response to certain environmental or dietary factors.
Fish oil supplementation will help with allergies and other
inflammatory conditions. A good quality fish body or krill oil is
human grade and free of soy - tocopherols, mixed tocopherols, vitamin
E oil, other plant oils, flavorings and additives. Give 100 mgs of
combined EPA/DHA per 10 lbs of dog for a maintenance daily dose. Give
300 mgs of combined EPA/DHA per 10 lbs of dog for a therapeutic daily
dose. The maintenance dosage is preventative and purely for dietary
supplementation, whereas the therapeutic dosage is medicinal and aims
to treat an internal imbalance, such as allergies or other
inflammatory conditions.
Here's an example of a quality fish oil for your dog.
http://www.vitacost.com/country-life-super-omega-3-60-softgels-1

Here's an excerpt from an article on natural remedies to allergies.
Probiotics can be a very important part of your dog's allergy
treatment.  One important contributing factor to allergies is an
unbalanced intestinal flora.  The dog's digestive system is loaded
with bacteria - some of it is protective and some of it is harmful
(for example, E. coli. or Salmonella).  When dogs are given
antibiotics, fed an improper diet, or exposed to bacteria and viruses,
the intestinal flora can become unbalanced with the bad bacteria
overcrowding the good bacteria.  When this happens, the immune system
will become dysregulated and your dog will suffer the effects of
either hyperactivity or immune suppression.  A good quality probiotic
such as Primal Defense will help restore the proper intestinal flora
by crowding out the bad bacteria and yeast.
If the bad bacteria in the gut are left in check, it can lead to a
condition called Leaky Gut Syndrome.  Young dogs are more susceptible
to this condition, as are dogs fed dairy products.  In this condition,
the intestinal barrier can become compromised and the permeability is
increased.  Small openings can develop in the lining of the intestine,
which allow large molecules of undigested or incompletely digested
foods to enter the bloodstream.
There are some other helpful supplements for allergies. Vitamin C is a
general anti-allergy vitamin that will help. Dogs experience allergic
symptoms when an allergen-antibody complex causes mast cells to
release histamine and other allergy mediating chemicals. Vitamin C
helps to stabilize mast cells so they are less likely to release these
substances. Omega-3 fatty acids can help alleviate the inflammation
associated with allergies. Digestive enzymes will also reduce
inflammation. These can be fed with meals to aid digestion and feed
beneficial bacteria. It is important to not supplement with digestive
enzymes if the intestinal flora is out of balance. Bioflavinoids,
including quercetin and hesperidin, contain antihistamine compounds.
Finally, fresh, whole foods rich in antioxidants will reduce free
radical activity and help to heal the gut and skin. These include
grape seed extract, vitamins C and E, beta carotene and alpha lipoic
acid amongst others. Bovine colostrum, whey protein isolate and
L-Gluatamine are other products that can help heal the gut.
If dog owners address the factors at the root of their dog's allergy
problems, such as nutrition, digestion and intestinal health, their
allergies can be overcome. It may take time, but good health is
possible if the body is supported and not suppressed.
From:
Canine Allergies: A New Look
http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/a-new-look-at-canine-allergies/
--
Raven
You are valuable because of your potential, not because of what you

Naturally-reared guide dogs
https://groups.google.com/d/forum/nrguidedogs