[nagdu] Free running (was: Pickup The Poop)

Debby Phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 18:04:56 UTC 2015

Hi Lisa, some people do let their dogs free run, some do not.
Some allow their dogs to go to what we call dog parks, specific
areas where dogs are allowed to run free, some do not.  Most
areas in the U.S.  at least, have definite leash laws, (though
they are not always obeyed).  People are supposed to keep their
dogs on leash at all times when outside their yards).  I do allow
mine to free run sometime.  But this is in very specific areas
and circumstances.  First of all, we have a fenced yard, so at
times my dog could run free there, once I know that he or she is
relieving on a fairly consistent schedule.  It's very hard to
have one dog who is allowed free run, (my retired guide) and
another one who isn't.  Plus I think it's great for dogs to just
be able to run and play for short periods of time.  At Seeing Eye
when I was there getting Neena, there was a play area.  In the
beginning, we had to be supervised there, but once our
instructors were sure that the dogs would return to us off leash,
we were allowed to go there by ourselves for fifteen minute
periods, because they did not want the dogs to be there longer
because others wanted to use the area, we were only allowed to
have one dog in there at a time, and because they did not want
the dogs to relieve there.  Neena loved playing there.  I would
stand in a part of the area and throw her kong and she'd run and
get it, I'd call her to me and she'd give it back-not always
willingly.  (Smile).  This is great practice for off-leash
recall, making it a game for the dog to give me what they have in
their mouth, (important since dogs will often snatch stuff that's
not good for them).

Other dogs I have had were given freedom as long as my husband or
another sighted person was there and could tell me what my dog
was doing.  And then only for brief times, as I did not want my
dog to feel like running and playing was more fun and exciting
than working.  Just my thoughts.    Debby