[nagdu] Free running

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Thu Mar 26 18:20:02 UTC 2015

Lisa,

The American training programs are dead set against free running and
thus do not train their dogs to run free safely. Nor do they train
handlers how to safely manage their dogs off leash. As a result, if a
guide dog does find itself loose in the world, the result is frequently
tragic.

As an owner-trainer, I let my dogs run free and consider off leash
training an essential part of their development from puppyhood on. I
also like for them to learn to socialize with as many types of dogs as
possible so that they can be "dog smart" in their work. I have certain
safety procedures I follow in considering whether and when to let my dog
off leash, though I consider training to be the key to mitigating risk.

We also let our dogs have the run of the house and expect them to follow
the rules, at least when they are grown. Loki, the pup, still spends
some time in his crate now and then, but I prefer to work with him as
much as possible. He's spent a couple of brief periods free in the house
with the other dogs when everybody's gone and has done fine.

I think there are benefits to the free running and socialization and
all, but the programs here disagree. Frankly, if I got a dog from a
program, I would be more cautious even if I did train it for off leash
running, since it would almost certainly not have that early learning my
dogs get as puppies.

Tami