[nagdu] Allergies: was Zylkene?

Daryl Marie crazymusician at shaw.ca
Sat Mar 28 13:01:44 UTC 2015

Raven,

I mean absolutely no disrespect here, but I have to say that your post put me off.  It came across as though it is our fault as handlers that our dogs have allergies, that there's this big mass conspiracy about veterinarians just in it for the money, and that we've bought into it.  Is there truth that what we feed our dogs and use to clean our homes affects us?  Of course!  But IMO you do not live with us, our dogs, or our weather, have NO idea what affects our bodies, what we feed our dogs unless we tell you, and do not visit our veterinarians when something is wrong.  You are a wealth of information, much of it valuable, but until you live with what we do, please consider that our choices are just as valued as yours.

Thanks,

Daryl

----- Original Message ----- From: Raven Tolliver via nagdu <nagdu at nfbnet.org> To: NAGDU Mailing List, the National Association of Guide Dog Users <nagdu at nfbnet.org> Sent: Sat, 28 Mar 2015 01:39:46 -0600 (MDT) Subject: Re: [nagdu] Allergies: was Zylkene?  The natural remedy is eliminating all processed, packaged, refined, and preformulated foods, and also cutting out corn, wheat, and soy. Eating a diet of whole, fresh food will remove many possible or potential allergins, and heal the immune system to inhibit the allergic response. Both my dog and I used to suffer from mild allergies, and when I switched both our diets so that we eat nothing preformulated or processed, we had no more allergies or health problems. I understand everyone is different. Some people may still experience allergies after switching to a diet of fresh food, but I believe that changing the diet is the first step. Many conditions can be healed with proper nutrition. But we have been taught that whatever problems we have, there is medication that will fix it. Rather than relying on medication, we should focus on food that is medicinal and nutritious, instead of consuming a diet high in food that is over-processed with addictive flavors. Our bodies, given the right nutrients, can defend itself against disease, infection, and inflammatory conditions. A good rule of thumb for both human and pet diets is this: if the food you buy contains more than one ingredient on the package, nine times out of ten, that food is not an immune-boosting, nutritious, healthy food. Eating food in its whole form is the best source of nutrients that will support our bodies, and strengthen our immune systems. The healthiest food for our dogs is unenhanced raw meat, bones, organs, and nutritional herbs or sea vegetables, such as algae, dulse, and kelp. I have helped a great number of people switch their puppies and adult dogs to a raw diet, and everyone under my guidance has noticed the improvements in their dogs condition. Dogs are canines; canines are carnivores; dogs are carnivores; and therefore, the healthiest diet for a dog is the healthiest diet for a carnivore. If you feel that going raw is not for you, I highly encourage you to ditch kibble and switch to freeze-dried. Freeze-dried dog food has several advantages over kibble. Kibble is cooked around 400DG Fahrenheit, which creates carcinogens, causes toxic molds, and depletes food of nutrients. Freeze-dried food is cooked under 200DG Fahrenheit, which preserves more nutrient. Also, you can find freeze-dried foods with fewer synthetic nutrients. The more synthetic nutrients there is in any food, the worse it is. There is currently a video over at www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com that explains all about how synthetic nutrients come from nonfood sources, are processed by the body as foreign substances, and are toxic to the body. I highly encourage everyone to watch. It definitely blew my mind. Most conventional veterinarians will not admit that dogs are carnivores and do best on a raw diet, or at least a diet free of fillers, synthetics, wheat, soy, corn, and starches. They will tell you just about any cooked or processed food is good, especially if it is one of the prescription diets they sell. They will throw pills and medicine at any health problem that comes through their door, rather than suggesting a whole food diet to heal your dog's body. Whatever they can do to keep you coming back and funding their practice. A true veterinarian would guide their clients toward healing. Only resort to testing after the whole health approach has not worked. Blow money on testing if you have your dog on a whole food diet, and you no longer put toxins into the animal's body via pesticides, medications, injections, conventional household products, toxic soaps, wipes, and washes. Take your dog's health into your own hands rather than trusting the vets. Vets are not required to learn anything about canine nutrition, and their education and practices are funded by dog food companies. The bottom line is not health, but sickness. After all, there is no money in healthy people and pets. -- Raven You are valuable because of your potential, not because of what you have or what you do. Naturally-reared guide dogs https://groups.google.com/d/forum/nrguidedogs On 3/28/15, Lori Dent via nagdu <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote: > Hi Sandra, > > I have had my guide Dog Gipp tested for food and environmental allergies > because he was scratching and itching a lot and wouldn't stop scratching > himself he was miserable . So yes, allergy testing is expensive but it was > > werth it in the end because I knew exactly what Gipp was allergic to and > then we could take action and finally treat Gipp accordingly to what he was > > allergic to. > > Firstly Gipp isallergic to the meat protein  and the fillers in the leading > > dog foods that are out on the market. Gipp is on a prescription dog food > that I can get only through my vet that is called Ultra Allergeon ZD. It's > > a expensive prescription dog food but it has helped in regards to his food > > allergies . Gipp also has environmental allergies a lot of them in fact > including trees, grasses, weeds, and molds and other things that I can't > think of right now. > > Allergy testing is expensive but it's the only way that you will know what > > exactly Eva is allergic to and I'm glad that I had my dog allergy tested > for food and environmental allergies. In fact, I had Gipp allergy tested for > > food and environmental allergies twice. This was because  I found out that > > Gipp allergies had changed from when I had him allergy tested the first time > > to the second time I had him allergy tested. > > Allergy testing is expensive but it's the only way to know what exactly your > > dog is allergic to. > > Your dog could be very well allergic to something in the leading dog foods > along with having environmental allergies. You need to get to the underline > > cause of what your dog Eva is allergic to and in my opinion the only way is > > by doing allergy testing. > > When Gipps allergy testing results came back it showed exactly what my dog > was allergic to from food to environmental allergies and what he could have > > in regards to food and treats. Gipp is on a prescription dog food that I can > > only get through my vet which is called Ultra Allergeon ZD and the treats > that Gipp can have are blue buffilow punkin and cinnamin bars. > > I also in the Spring and Summer months have Gipp on allergy medication to > help with his environmental allergies but you also got to be careful of the > > allergy medications and the side effects that allergy medications could > have on your dog. Plus if you don't want to do allergy medications you > could always do allergy shots for your dog. > > Allergies seem to get werse every year werse than the year before and it > > can be frustrating and miserable for our dogs and for us. Good luck with > whatever you decide to do. Take care. > > Lori and the Gipppppppper > > > > _______________________________________________ > nagdu mailing list > nagdu at nfbnet.org > http://nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/nagdu_nfbnet.org > To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for > nagdu: > http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nagdu_nfbnet.org/ravend729%40gmail.com > _______________________________________________ nagdu mailing list nagdu at nfbnet.org http://nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/nagdu_nfbnet.org To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for nagdu: http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nagdu_nfbnet.org/crazymusician%40shaw.ca