[nagdu] Allergies: was Zylkene?

Debby Phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 18:07:02 UTC 2015

Hi Sandra, my fourth dog was very allergic.  Not at first, but
later on.  His face would swell up, but especially when we would
go visit my mom in southern Oregon.  Then we would go back to
Vancouver, Washington and he would still be allergic, but not as
much.  It was very odd.  So we did do the allergy tests.  Yes,
they are expensive, but it was worth it.  We actually went to a
vet allergist.  MY husband grew up on a ranch, his family raised
cattle, so when they recommended allergy shots, he agreed to give
them to my dog.  We did that for quite awhile.  Then he got
attacked by a neighborhood dog, and we had to retire him because
he got dog aggressive.  While we had him though, he get the
allergy shots, he got an allergy medicine, to settle some of his
itching, especially when we went to visit my mom.  He was
allergic to certain types of grasses, and to wool.  My mom had
wool carpet, and those certain grasses grew there.  So he would
be worse when we visited her.  Perhaps your vet would allow you
to be on some kind of payment plan to pay for the tests, or
something like that.  Perhaps your school might help? We fed
Artie duck and potato, (a prescription food that we had to get at
the vet).  It was expensive, too.  We used to joke about how we'd
eat raman noodles while Artie got duck and potato.  They also
made venison and potato.  It did help.  Hope this helps you.
Debby