[nagdu] apartment hunting need input hear

Applebutter Hill applebutterhill at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 22:24:37 UTC 2015

Lori,
My thinking on this is that they can't do it. The spirit of the ADA with
regard to service dogs, spelled out in DOJ's hand-out to businesses, is that
a business essentially must treat a person with a service dog the same as a
person without one, and the service dog handler must have the same rights
and access as someone without a service dog. Therefore, your service dog
should not be used to restrict your right to have a pet dog in situations
like this where other residents have that right.

There are regulations under Fair Housing but my understanding is that they
are even more inclusive than the ADA. Have you called the ADA hotline on
this one? I see this in that gray area of understanding, where the business
has some knowledge about your rights, but is still convinced they have the
right to limit your access.  It's like the idea of being told that a motel
isn't refusing access to the service dog; they have a pet area and all dogs
must go there, when the regs clearly state that the service dog cannot be
limited to areas and conditions imposed on pets. They don't have the right
to charge you, but they do have the right to expect your dog to behave and
to charge you for any damage caused by your dog, service or otherwise.

Standing your ground on this may be as simple as presenting the information
in a confident manner. Housing is tough, though, because you have to live
somewhere, and unless you get their blessing up front, you will be faced
with the option of either going elsewhere or just moving in with both dogs
and facing a legal battle.
Donna