[nagdu] Questions about Pilot

S L Johnson SLJohnson25 at comcast.net
Mon Mar 30 16:47:21 UTC 2015

    Hello Kerri:

You will find Pilot Dogs quite different from Seeing Eye.  Pilot isn't the
big fancy school that Seeing Eye is.  It is an older building.  Student
rooms are double occupancy.  There is a phone but, no computer access.  If
you are an experienced guide dog user, you will probably be scheduled for
the twelve day.  That's ten days of training and your two travel days.

Below is what my trainer did.  I do not know if all the trainers do the same
things so, other people's experiences may be different.

You'll arrive on Sunday.  They'll show you around the school and explain the
program to you.  The next morning they'll do a short Juno walk and show you
where you'll be relieving your dog.  Then after lunch you will be given your
dog.  After some time alone with your dog, the trainer will come back and
you'll go out to relieve the dog.  Then you'll take a short walk.  Sometime
later that day, you will give your new dog a bath.  The trainer will be with
you to show how it is done.  They feel this is a good way to bond with your
new dog.  They do not use tie-down chains.  There is a crate next to each
bed.

Now for the relieving issue.  They have a rectangle shaped area in the
courtyard.  It has a metal railing, about waist high, around this area.  You
put the dog under the railing down into the relief area.  There are three
spots along this railing.  Unlike other schools, everyone does not go out at
the same time.  The word they use is "potty Potty".  They tell you to stay
out there for about ten minutes.  That first day, you will take your dog out
about every 40 minutes until bedtime.  They say this is to establish good
housebreaking habits.  As class goes on, the time between relief times will
increase.  This will depend on your particular dog.    They have radio
speakers in the room that will blast you awake at 6:00 am.  They tell you to
get the dogs out before breakfast.  They only had me pick up once just to
show that I knew how to do it.

You will feed twice a day, morning and evening.  My trainer said we could
either choose before or after breakfast.  The second feeding is after
dinner.  You have to feed them outside in the courtyard.  You go to the feed
room, fill the dish and go outside, hoping your new excited dog doesn't make
you drop that full bowl of food.  The dishes are small, maybe quart size,
hard plastic, not metal like most other schools.   You will be given two
dishes, one for food and one for water.

Most commands are the same.  Pilot does not teach the dogs to find or
follow.  The command to get your dog to slow down is "easy" instead of
"steady".

Grooming is also done outside whenever you have time during your day.  They
use a large pin brush.  Even though I got a golden, they did not give me a
comb.

The daily training is not like other schools.  Since Pilot is located right
in the city, you will not have to get into vans and be driven to the
designated route for the days training.  You will relax in your room or the
lounge until it is your turn.  The only time we used a van to take us to our
training was for country travel and to a department store.  I can't describe
the usual routes because due to medical issues and physical limitations my
walks were shortened.  Pilot seems to plan walks more on an individuals
needs.  As with all schools, you will start out in quiet areas and progress
to downtown and riding the city bus.  If you stay for ten days, you'll have
two test walks, one the first Friday and the second, the following
Wednesday.  That second walk has you walk to the bus stop, ride downtown, do
a prescribed route, including into a CVS and an office building.  On that
walk, you'll be accompanied by a trainer you and your dog don't know.  After
that walk you will be told whether you passed or failed.

Other things you will find that are different is the equipment.  The Pilot
leash is much longer than what you are used to from Seeing Eye.  It will
have some extra snaps and a buckle that form a muzzle.  The harness body is
almost the same but, the handle is permanently attached to the body.  Also,
I noticed the length of the handle is much shorter than some other schools
use.  It has leather on the top and about two inches down each side, the
rest is white venal.  On the chest strap there are two snaps where a strip
of   plastic spikes can be inserted to stop dogs from pulling too hard.  If
your dog doesn't need this, your harness will have a strip of plain leather
that snaps into that place.  Personally, I don't like the leashes or the
harness handles.  I've already replaced the leash and if I could find a 16
inch all leather handle, I'd replace that too.

I hope this helps.  Hopefully in October, they'll have good news for you.
Good luck.  If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Sandra and Eva