[nagdu] dogs cats transitioning

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Mon May 4 21:55:26 UTC 2015

Unfortunately, feeding a vegetarian diet to a carnivore is a great
disservice. While a vegetarian diet is leaps and bounds better than
consuming processed foods, there are still many things lacking in a
diet excluding meat. Vitamin B12, collagen, gelatin, and omega-3 fatty
acids are just a few nutrients that must be derived from meat
products. Omega-3 is most bioavailable to humans and dogs from meat
sources, since the plant form of omega-3, called ALA, has a poor
conversion rate to DHA and EPA. Dogs cannot convert ALA into DHA at
all, and humans only convert some ALA into DHA and EPA.
If you look at wild dogs and even native cultures of humans, they
include meat in their diets. What many people don't know is that, even
the earth eats meat. If you do any gardening, you know that the soil
must be fertilized by a product or mixture including bone meal, blood
meal, and meat meal. So even if you eat a vegetarian or vegan diet,
your fruits and veggies rely on decomposed meat products for
nutrition.
Also, plant foods are high in omega-6, which is the fatty acid that
aids, promotes and feeds inflammation. The omega-6 to omega-3 ratio
should be 4 or 3 to 1. If you're not eating meat or supplementing with
fish oil, your ratio is likely imbalanced. Omega-3 is important to
reduce inflammation.
There is a way to eat clean meat without funding the torture and ill
treatment of feedlot operations. Purchase meats that are pastured,
free-range, and grass-fed. Both my dog and I consume these healthy
meats, which are from animals who are allowed to roam the pasture and
graze, are not treated with antibiotics or hormones, and are fed
organic supplemental feeds. Pastured animals yield meat that is high
in omega 3, and much lower in hormones. This is because these animals
are not kept in a stressful environment, and are not crammed together,
preventing the easy spreading of disease. Eating a species appropriate
diet and roaming outdoors promotes health and prevents the need for
hormones and antibiotics. Grain-fed animals live in ghastly, crowded
conditions, are stuck in their cages from day one, eat grain, which is
higher in omega-6 than grasses, and are fed hormones and antibiotics
to make them grow faster and to kill off diseases. Grain-fed feedlot
meat has a omega-6 to omega-3 ratio of 25 to 1, while pastured meat's
ratio is 4 to 1. It's obvious which kind of meat is healthy.
Also, animal fats, also called saturated fats are necessary in the
diet, and offer benefits that only saturated fats provide, including:
Bone health: Saturated fat is necessary for calcium absorption.
Liver health: Saturated fats protect the liver from the harmful
effects of alcohol and pharmaceutical drugs and signals the liver to
dump fat stores.
Lung health: The lungs are coated with a slippery substance made up of
saturated fats.
Brain health: The brain is made primarily of saturated fats, necessary
for proper repair and function.
Nerve health: Saturated fats act as transmitters, sending signals that
regulate metabolism and the release of insulin.
Immune health: Saturated fats are necessary for proper function of
white blood cells, which fight viruses, bacteria, and disease (7).

So back to dogs, there are several physiological characteristics of
dogs that prove they are carnivores:
1. sharp, pointy teeth that meet in a scissors bite, muscular jaw, and
powerful neck muscles, all meant for tearing meat and crushing bone.
2. the absence of flat molars, and the inability to move their
mandible from side to side. For this very anatomical reason, dogs are
unable to adequately chew and grind up their food. Look at a horse's
or cow's teeth, then look at a dog's teeth.
If you've seen horses and or cattle eat, they chew and munch up their
food well before swallowing. Dogs typically gobble down their food,
crunching a few times before swallowing. This is because
3. Digestion for dogs starts in their stomachs, not their mouths.
Omnivores and herbivores produce digestive enzymes in their saliva to
start breaking down food and gleaning nutrients.
4. Dogs do not produce amulace in their saliva, nor do they
manufacture cellulace. These digestive enzymes are necessary for
sufficient digestion of plants and absorption of nutrients from those
plants. Without an adequate amount of those enzymes, digestion and
nutrient absorption from plants is insufficient.
Cellulace is necessary to break down cellulose, the tough outer
structure of fruits and veggies. Cellulose is also broken down by food
processing, such as pureeing, grinding, and so on. This is why if you
read recipes and instructions for making homemade dog food, fruits and
veggies must be pureed, frozen, cooked, or ground.
5. Carnivores, including dogs, have short intestinal tracts made of
smooth tissue to allow the quick and easy passage of meat, and to
prevent meat from sitting in their gut, fermenting, and forming
harmful bacteria. Omnivores have medium length GI tracts, and
herbivores have the longest GI tracts. Fermentation produces
probiotics and enzymes which aid in the digestion process for
omnivores and herbivores. Furthermore, omnivores and herbivores have
folds and creases in their intestines to slow digestion for proper
nutrient absorption. Dogs lack these folds.

Again, vegetarian diets that exclude processed foods, sugar, and soy,
exceed the nutritional content of commercial dog food. However, it is
still not the optimal diet for a dog.
--
Raven
You are valuable because of your potential, not because of what you

Naturally-reared guide dogs
https://groups.google.com/d/forum/nrguidedogs