[nagdu] offleash dogs

Applebutter Hill applebutterhill at gmail.com
Thu May 7 16:37:55 UTC 2015

Danielle,
You're right; you only have full control of your own dog,, and off-leash
dogs are a problem in several ways. It is also illegal to have one's dog off
leash and not under voice control. Furthermore, more and more states have
laws making it a crime when a dog attacks a service dog.

I've had a lot of problems with this over the 43 years I've used guide dogs.
The stupidest reaction from an owner whose off-leash dog actually attacked
my guide dog was, "Well, it's not my fault. I wasn't even home at the time."

A couple thoughts ... First, if you are having problems with a particular
dog and you know who owns the dog, call the police/dog warden and let them
know what's going on and that it is interfering with your ability to go
about your life and endangering you and your dog. I would also proactively
right letters to the editors of your local papers about the issue and even
make a story suggestion for them to do an article about how this illegal,
irresponsible  behavior is endangering people who use service dogs.

Good luck. I'm sorry we live in this kind of world, but it's just one more
thing we need to deal with.
Donna & Hunter