[nagdu] males and females

Deanna Lewis DLewis at clovernook.org
Tue May 26 13:30:58 UTC 2015

Well, I've only had male dogs for guides so far, but I've been very happy with both of my boys! Neither one has EVER tried to hike up his leg and pee on things, they've both been squatters/lungers. As far as the humping, anyone who knows me well, knows that my retired guide, Pascal is a humper! He even humped my friend's dog in harness once. We were downtown at a festival and some guy saw them before I could correct Pascal. He said, "Boy, those dogs sure are friendly," LOL. It's a dominance thing and I've had a few female pet dogs who were humpers too.
My male guide dogs have always been pretty mellow and easy to work with. I knew that Pascal was very stubborn, but not until I started working with Mambo did I realize just how stubborn he is! Pascal was  a tall and big lab at over 80 lbs. Mambo is shorter at 22 inches and weighs 65 lbs. Both dogs have proven to be excellent guides and I think I prefer males, just because I've had such good luck with them so far. I'd be happy with either though, as long as it's a good match. I've noticed that a lot of females seem to be little pistols, with a fast pace and sassy attitude. Just like humans, I guess!
Deanna and Mambo