[nagdu] Lickers

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Tue May 26 16:06:56 UTC 2015

Believe it or not, this is a neurological defect. Specifically, this
is a doggie version of obsessive compulsive disorder, also called
canine compulsive disorder.
This is a big bold sign that your dog is under stress. Using things
like a harsh tone of voice and restraining equipment will likely
worsen the situation, or at least it won't improve it.
Taking steps such as recognizing and removing stressors for your dog,
reinforcing alternative behaviors, and improving their diet will
lessen the obsessive behavior. Pay attention to when your dog starts
licking excessively. Write it down. There is definitely a pattern, and
to resolve the issue, you need to figure it out to eliminate or reduce
the behavior. Next, remove those factors that trigger an episode of
excessive licking. Maybe they do it when you are stressed, when you
are busy with something other than them, or when they need to blow off
some steam and go for a walk. You can change how your dog reacts to
these situations in a couple different ways:
1. Give them something else to do. If your dog loves a bone or puzzle,
offer these outlets to your dog to curve the licking. Maybe take them
for a walk, or give them a good play session to blow off some steam.
2. Add relaxing factors to your environment. Play relaxing music, such
as the Through a Dog's Ear albums, or use aromatherapy. Calming
essential oils and herbs include lavender, chamomile, vetiver, and
pine. Let your dog sniff the open bottle first to make sure that scent
does not bother him. Using massage and t-touch are also good ways to
give your dog positive attention and reduce tension.
If you need resources for the music or essential oils, I'd be more
than happy to share some resources.

Another thing you can do is change your dog's internal and external
environments. For most people and domesticated animals, we are under
stress 24/7 from our diets and our external environments. We eat diets
high in omega-6 and inflammatory foods, which creates a stressful
environment inside our bodies. Then we breathe polluted air, polluted
fumes from household products, the chlorine from the water we use, and
so on. Mitigating internal and external stressors as much as possible
is the first step before you do anything drastic like use anti-anxiety
meds.
Use gentle soaps on your dog, his bedding, towels, and dishes. Liquid
castile soap is a great nontoxic soap for you, your dog, and even
household cleaning. Find eco-friendly laundry detergents that use
plant-based enzymes to clean rather than harsh chemicals. Clean
surfaces with diluted vinegar, peroxide, and grapefruit seed extract.
Add essential oils such as thieves, tea tree, and lavender, which are
antimicrobial, and smell great.
These things are important for you and your dog, since chemicals you
put on your own body also affect your dog. Any lotions, detergents,
and perfumes you use for yourself are inhaled by your dog and
contribute to stress.
Also, change the diet. A diet high in plants and grains is extremely
high in omega-6. If your dog is not taking a fish oil supplement or is
not on a meat-based diet, your dog's diet is creating stress. An
imbalance of omega-6 causes internal inflammation, which is stress
within the body. If you have a dog who suffers from allergies, skin
issues, ear issues, or other inflammatory conditions, there is more
than likely too much omega-6 in your dog's diet.

I've linked to a great article on canine compulsive disorder below.
The one thing I must drive home that this article does not emphasize
enough is aroma therapy. Avoid anti-anxiety meds, and use essential
oils, instead. Again, be sure to use a scent that is attractive to
your dog, not just you.

Obsessive Compulsive Behavior in Dogs
http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/13_9/features/Dogs-With-OCD_20062-1.html
--
Raven
You are valuable because of your potential, not because of what you

Naturally-reared guide dogs
https://groups.google.com/d/forum/nrguidedogs