[nagdu] dogs and summer heat

Elizabeth Campbell batescampbell at gmail.com
Sun May 31 14:02:43 UTC 2015

Hi Marion and all

We havent' had hot weather in Texas yet because of our incredible, rainy
weather, but I expect we won't escape the heat for long.

I tend to keep Gabe away from parking lots as the pavement tends to be much
hotter than the concrete on sidewalks.

I also try to minimize Gabe's activity during the worst part of the day
which is early to mid afternoon.

Someone also suggested that it's a good idea to test the pavement by putting
your hand on the cement for approximately 30 seconds, and if it is too hot
to the touch, then it is too hot for your dog's paws.

I also know that booties are a good idea, but Gabe just doesn't like them,
and it is more of a struggle to put them on and to keep them on. However I
do have the Ruff Wear boots from the Seeing Eye which offer excellent
protection.

I've also heard that Musher's Secret is effective in protecting the dog's
paws in heat or cold, but the product is rather messy to apply, so I've only
used it a couple of times.

Hope this helps.

Liz and Gabe