[nagdu] Really? Come on man!

Lisa Belville missktlab1217 at frontier.com
Sun Nov 1 19:05:31 UTC 2015

Well, I think it depends on the dog and how well you know your dog's
strengths and weaknesses.  My last dog was a very steady alpha female Lab.
Nothing intimidated her.  I wouldn't have too many issues taking her through
one of those because I knew how she would react.  We worked together for
just under nine years, so I saw her reactions to all kinds of situations--
traffic checks, fireworks, people dressed in costumes, power outages, severe
weather, etc., and she was rock steady the whole time.  The only remotely
aggressive thing she did was growl at another working dog who came around a
corner and surprised her, and that happened after we'd been together for
three years and it never happened again.

I've had my current dog, a yellow Lab/Golden cross  for just under five
months.  No way would I put her in that kind of a situation.  I don't know
enough about how she works under stress or how she reacts to unexpected
totally unavoidable incidents except she's a barker and my last dog only
barked during doggie dreams.

So I wouldn't be overly judgmental about people bringing their dogs to
certain events.  I'd never take my dogs to a live concert, but plenty of
people do it all of the time and don't have negative consequences.  I'm sure
that if you polled the schools, they'd all give a resounding NO to taking a
dog to a haunted house, but then many schools discourage taking dogs to zoos
or doing other activities many dog handlers do in the course of their
working with a dog.

Lisa Belville
missktlab1217 at frontier.com
A bus station is where the bus stops. A train station is where the train
stops.  On my desk I have a work station...