[nagdu] Taking Our Dogs To The Zoo

Sherry Gomes sherriola at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 00:39:14 UTC 2015

For me, I have absolutely no desire ever to go to a zoo, with or without my
dog. If I was forced to go, I wouldn't take my dog. I've had dogs that could
have handled it, but my current dog has enough distraction issues. It would
be a nightmare trying to handle her in such an environment. I think, in all
these things, to take or not to take our dogs, is a choice based on our
desires, our dogs' temperaments and so on. There's no right or wrong answer,
except to do what's best for us and for our dogs. Most of the time, those
will be the same thing anyway. For me, I think wild animals should be in the
wild, not trapped in zoos with people gawking at them. Lol. Childhood trips
to a zoo, one trip actually, traumatized me for life. But for people who
like it, who are interested, and who want to have their guide dogs along,
they should have the right to make that choice. I commend NAGDU for all
their work with zoos. It might be something I will never want to do, but I'm
glad someone is there speaking  and working for those who do. After all,
it's all part of living the life we want.

Sherry