[nagdu] Belly strap?

S L Johnson SLJohnson25 at comcast.net
Thu Nov 12 20:07:14 UTC 2015

Daryl:

Oh yes, I've never seen a guide dog harness that really fits well,
especially with the smaller thinner dogs.  I've had dogs get completely out
of their harnesses.  Sometimes they get their front feet out of the chest
strap but the belly strap was still where it should be.  I've suggested to
schools before that there be a way to also adjust the chest straps to better
fit each dog.  With Eva's harness, it is either too tight or too loose in
the belly strap and the chest strap is too big for her thin narrow chest.
When she is lying down I frequently reach and touch her to be sure she isn't
wiggling out.  It is very frustrating when you discover your dog has herself
all tangled up in a half on harness when it is time for you to get off the
bus or board a flight.  I often take her harness off when we're in a car or
on long bus rides or flights to avoid her getting all twisted up but, then
this does mean taking the time to quickly put it back on when it is time to
leave.   There are all shapes and sizes of dogs and I guess it is difficult
to find sizes that will fit all of them.  I'm sure the guide dog schools
come up with the average measurements for most of their dogs,  which in most
schools is the labrador.  Most of the male labs and some females are a bit
broader in the shoulders and chest than some of the other breeds.  I know my
female golden and some female labs I've seen all have chest straps that are
too big for them.  It would be easy to add buckles on the side of the chest
strap where it meets the rest of the harness body that would allow for
adjustments

Sandra and Eva, the harness escaper