[nagdu] FYI FW: Letter from Kimberly Walton, Assistant Administrator, Civil Rights & Liberties, Ombudsman and Traveler Engagement, TSA, DHS

David david at bakerinet.com
Tue Nov 24 19:00:34 UTC 2015

Thanks, Michael,

I had an excellent experience with TSA Cares.  GDF had a PSS officer
meet us at the Delta ticket counter at La Guardia when I flew home from
GDF this Summer.  So, in addition to having GDF instructors with me, we
had a wonderful PSS officer with us who also accompanied me on to the
plane to see that Claire Rose and I got settled.  She showed me how to
go through the scanner and how to hold Claire Rose while they patted her
down.  I haven't used a PSS officer since that first flight, but I have
had to argue a couple of times with TSA personnel in Atlanta about what
the correct procedure is.  One TSA agent got a bit snippy after I asked
for a supervisor and said, "Sure.  Maybe you can try to tell HER how
we're supposed to do our job."

If folks are ever flying on Delta, I strongly suggest that you use the
disability phone line to book your trip.  Let them know your dog's
weight and they will select an appropriate seat.  They mark your ticket
with " Trained Service Animal".  All of the other 9 flights that I have
made on Delta since that first one, Claire Rose and I have been in
comfort plus seats because of her size -- no extra charge for telephone
booking and no extra charge for the extra space.  One time they even
bumped someone so that we could get a window seat and kept the next seat
open so Claire Rose could stretch out.

I don't know about other airlines.  Perhaps others could share stories
about their experiences with other carriers.  ??

David and Claire Rose in Clearwate