[nagdu] Standing Heel position

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Wed Nov 25 16:36:47 UTC 2015

Ann,

Thanks for that. It has never occurred to me to go beyond nose touch,
but I can see where the rest would come in handy. I've been trying to
think of something to teach our gang to counteract winter doldrums, so
you've given me some good ideas.

Raven, I haven't had anything different than others have suggested about
positioning, although your question has me paying attention to what I do
with Loki. I use successive approximation and reward, so by now he's
pretty good. I have a "position" command, which means stand beside me so
that I can pick up the harness handle. That's different from heel, where
he's further back, closer to the traditional heel position. I can keep
track better if the dog's head is beside my leg, so that's where my dogs
heel. Loki is still learning to stand in line nicely, so I do end up
nudging him back into position with my hand then praising good position,
or I have him go around and come back into position if he's gone too far
off. I may try some of Ann's suggestions to refine that, though.

Let us know what you end up doing and how it works.

Tami