[nagdu] Blind man, guide dog banned from bus ride in Tampa | WFLA.com

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Thu Nov 26 13:32:39 UTC 2015

The thing is, you can't educate people into caring.   If they are open to
learning then education can sure help guide them in the right direction.
However no amount of education is ever going to move people to action if
there is no feeling of concern, curiosity or engagement.

You have to meet people where they are.  They have to know how what you are
saying could affect their life in a meaningful way.  Telling someone who
doesn't care that discrimination is wrong and hurtful will get you
absolutely nowhere.  If you tell that same person that it's illegal and
these specific things can happen...fines, jail time, community service
hours...then they see immediately how their actions will affect their life.
But if your talking to someone who really, really doesn't care, even that
won't matter.  It won't be until they experience the pain of forking out the
money for a lawyer and explaining their actions in front of a judge that it
really hits home.

I guess my take on all of this is that I think education is a sort of
invitation only thing.  If someone wants to do better, learn and grow, then
I'm happy to help them in whatever way I can.  However if they have no
interest in changing their behavior, then education is a lost cause.  Action
is what is needed.

Julie
Courage to Dare: A Blind Woman's Quest to Train her Own Guide Dog is now
available! Get the book here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QXZSMOC