[nagdu] Introduction

Morgan Leland morganland at me.com
Sat Nov 28 22:42:19 UTC 2015

LOL, no worries, it was clear you are not the one in harness. :)

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 28, 2015, at 3:33 PM, Dan Weiner via nagdu <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:

Hello and welcome to the wonderful world of guide dogs, I hope you have many
good adventures with your dog.
Well, the only thing I've found that works is to learn to read the dog's
signs as much as possible...I know, easier said than done, right?  Then give
them as many opportunities as necessary so that the doggie is relieving
hhimself when you want,  for which he gets a lot of praise, as opposd to
just while walking.  If you notice your dog start to get in that position,
also, pull your dog over to the side of the road or path on to grass or
whatever so at ;least he or she starts getting the idea that he needs to
pull over.  One of my dogs learned to pull over when it was necessary so I
could then just give him a park time and at least we weren't walking while
it happened. My problem as I see it is not that it's in harness so much as
the fact that the dog is just doing plop plop fizz fizz when you're walking,
and if you can at least get it to the point that it's on route  but  not
while moving, (in other words when you're actually giving him a time) then
that would be good.  It's all easier said than done and I wish you the best.
I must say honestly that Parker, my fourth dog is unique in that he has
never done his business while walking,  but other dogs I had did it at least
a few times until I got it all sorted out. One thing aalso is maybe choosing
some spots on route where it's good to relieve and giving your dog a regular
time there.  The dogs signs that I mentioned could be slowing down, speeding
up, panting, sniffing excessively, stopping unexpectedly and starting again,
or pulling over.

I'm most likely in the minority in that I relieve in harness, my experience
shows it's not the equipment that the dog wears, but the place and
situation, and the dog learrs when it's appropriate...but I respect other
opinions of course, it's just always worked for me this way.

I should point out, I mean I relieve the dog wile he wears the harness.
Saying I relieve in harness gives the mistaken impression that I am the one
wearing theequipment--lol

Good luck to you and warmest wishes, we're all here if you need us.

Dan and the Parker Larker