[nagdu] What does he want?

Lisa Belville missktlab1217 at frontier.com
Sun Nov 29 15:04:21 UTC 2015

Tracey, I think that's the Golden part of him coming out.  My first dog was
a Lab/Golden cross and he did this.  I thought it was just a guide dog thing
until I started meeting other dog people and realized that their pure
Goldens were love sponges but Labs and Shepherds wouldn't just plunk their
heads in laps for no reason.    They were affectionate and would be very
responsive to their handlers, but they didn't require constant physical
interaction like the Goldens did.

My second dog was all Lab and while she was very affectionate, she was a bit
less physical and really didn't seem to like to hold still for prolonged
petting most of the time.  Usually a simple head pat or ear rub satisfied
her.

Now my third dog is a Yellow Lab Golden cross and she is very physical,
almost intrusive  with her head.  She can stand for an eternity while I rub
her ears, her knowledge bump, the extra skin around her neck. . . It doesn't
matter as long as I am physically touching her.  She's done this with
others, so I think it's just her personality.  She's interfered with my
typing and my Bluetooth reception before, and loves using her muzzle as a
crowbar if she thinks I've been on the PC typing or on the iPhone playing a
game for too long.

Usually I tell her to do a down stay next to my rocker or in the spare space
made by my computer desk the bed and the wall.  Usually just a single down
makes her quit.  I love this, but I know it can get really annoying,
especially when she goes into Velcro dog mode and wants to be wherever I am
at all times.

I think a quiet and firm down will probably stop this.  If you jump up to
take him out or drop everything you're doing to love on him, he's going to
learn this and probably will get very obnoxious about demanding your
attention.

Lisa and Paige
Lisa Belville
missktlab1217 at frontier.com
A bus station is where the bus stops. A train station is where the train
stops.  On my desk I have a work station...