[nagdu] Drooling?

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Mon Nov 30 20:29:07 UTC 2015

Drooling can also be a stress response, but not necessarily bad stress as in
anxiety.  It can be from exciting/good stress too.  Monty drooled like a
faucet when Jetta was first here, along with Meghan's guide, another dog and
a puppy.   It was a lot of new dogs for him, but he seemed to be enjoying
the company.  Maybe it was because all the new dogs were girls?  I didn't
think of that until just now! LOL

Drooling can be a response to eating something inappropriate or general
digestive upset.  Often a dog will drool before vomiting.

My general rule of thumb is that if the weird symptom lasts a few hours or
even a couple of days, isn't accompanied by anything else and doesn't appear
to be affecting overall life function, then I wait it out. 9.9 times out of
ten it's all fine in the end.   I take a dog to the vet if there's blood
involved, especially if it won't stop, if the situation looks like it's
about to get worse if I don't do something, if the dog absolutely refuses to
engage in normally fun stuff even for a minute or two, refuses food (mine
are super enthusiastic eaters and this is a very bad sign for them), if the
vomiting/diarrhea is persistent, if there's a high fever or the dog is
dehydrated. If the situation appears to be an off day or I think she's just
not feeling great, then maybe we take it easy or I leave her at home.  This
is just me though.  It's also how I approach health care for myself and my
family.  If a cup of hot tea, a warm blanket and a few extra hours of sleep
will do the trick, then that's what I provide to people and dogs.

HTH and glad to hear she's better today!
Julie
Courage to Dare: A Blind Woman's Quest to Train her Own Guide Dog is now
available! Get the book here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QXZSMOC