[nagdu] Allergies

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Thu Oct 1 12:01:04 UTC 2015

Krokus's basic allergy test results are in.  The vet says it only shows
general categories, and there's a more specific test that could be done.
Anyway, the test showed a reaction to mites, mold, and grasses.  The vet
says I could do the more specific test, and then she could make up a serum
to desensitize him to whatever, which could be given orally every day, or as
an injection, if I want to go that route.

I'm not sure what to do next.  I've never had a dog with allergies.  I'm not
sure if this is a seasonal thing that will pass, with ongoing monitoring for
problems, or something that requires a big effort. Right now, I'm leaning
toward watch and wait.

I can vacuum a bit more, and wash his bedcover more, but I'm not tearing out
my carpets.  I already don't use chemical cleansers.  I'm willing to make
some small housekeeping changes, but not to re-work my whole lifestyle.

Right now, his ear infection seems to be clearing up nicely, so far as I can
tell.  He's a bit itchy, but not to the degree where it's causing hot spots.
The vet says I can give him a couple Benedril up to twice a day, so I give
him a bit when he's scratching more.  But it's not crazy scratching.
Basically, he seems fine.

I'd be interested to hear what others have done about allergic dogs.

Tracy