[nagdu] Impulse control

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Tue Oct 6 15:26:47 UTC 2015

Hi Danielle.
What size halti are you using?  I see several sizes on Amazon.

I'm trying again with the GL.  The trainer who called me back told me how
it's supposed to be adjusted--tight behind the ears, loosish around the
muzzle.  I left the GL on this morning in the crosstown bus, and Krokus
didn't wiggle it off or eat anything, both a plus.
Tracy

> [...]
>> now that we're doing some indoor public access and busier outdoor
>> venues. As long as I have some attention on him, he's getting downright
>> reliable about doing exactly what he's supposed to do without reminding.
>> So I relax and get to shopping or chatting, and notice I should have
>> been paying more attention to my pup. Needless to say, we're sticking to
>> relaxed venues where there's not a lot of trouble for him to get into
>> while he's learning what his best behavior is supposed to be and how to
>> stick to it. Grocery stores and restaurants remain in our future, though
>> he is doing well in outdoor eateries -- and getting better.
>>
>> The Gentle Leader head collar can be adjusted so that it won't slip off
>> the dog's nose. For dogs with shorter, broader muzzles, that makes it
>> fairly tight. I can't remember about the Halti, which is what I used at
>> first with Mitzi. Her long, pointy nose made adjustment pretty simple.
>> It could be pretty loose and still stay on. It did not survive its
>> introduction to Zay of the short, broad muzzle. Chomp!
>>
>> Otherwise, the basket muzzle may be what you need for awhile, with
>> praise and reward when he bypasses temptations he can't get to anyway. I
>> guess with the muzzle, you couldn't use treats, but a head scratch with
>> the praise or something? The real trick with that method is knowing
>> about temptations when your dog isn't pointing them out by giving in to
>> them. /lol/ I think that being kept from the reward of turkey sandwiches
>> will also help so you may be able to phase out the muzzle in time.
>>
>> Good luck with your clever goat boy.
>>
>> Tami
>>
>>> On 10/05/2015 09:06 AM, Tracy Carcione via nagdu wrote:
>>> Yesterday, I happened to have lunch seated near a buffet table.  When I
>>> got
>>> up to leave, Krokus jumped up on the buffet and helped himself to a
>>> sandwich.  I corrected him very sharply, but I suspect the turkey made
>>> bigger impression than my correction.  Clearly, we still have impulse
>>> control issues.
>>>
>>> He's very smart about knowing when he's being set up.  When we're
>>> practicing
>>> impulse control, he's an angel, otherwise, not so much.  I'm not sure
>>> if
>>> it's a question of duration-I can resist that sandwich for 20 minutes,
>>> but
>>> not a minute longer-or that he knows to the millisecond when I'm not
>>> expecting trouble and takes advantage.
>>>
>>> And no, I didn't have the Gentle Leader on him, because, when I've left
>>> it
>>> on while he's lying down, he very quietly wiggled it loose enough to
>>> eat it,
>>> and then I had to worry about that passing through him.  Good thing
>>> he's
>>> part goat.
>>>
>>> I have a call in to the school, but so far their suggestions have not
>>> effective.  I guess I'll ask them about the basket muzzle, but I'd