[nagdu] service animals and Uber or Lyft again

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Fri Oct 16 21:29:04 UTC 2015

I don't have access to any ride sharing service, because I live next door to
the middle of nowhere.  I do hope that someday it will be available here.
Until then, I'll read everyone else's messages and ponder.

I do have to say this whole button thing feels like giving permission for
folks to discriminate.  We would be outraged if it was suggested that there
be a button to alert drivers of any other federally protected class of
people.  It's like folks are saying it's okay for driver's to discriminate
and I don't get that.

I suppose African American folks in the 60's would have appreciated a sign
on the front door of café's who didn't want to serve them.  Then the African
American person could walk to the next place where they would be welcomed.
It's not an exact comparison, but that's how this button thing makes me
feel.  It feels fundamentally wrong to me.

If that means that at some point in the future when I get the opportunity to
use one of these services and the driver chooses to have a fuss about the
dog and I get left, then so be it.  I would rather make the sacrifice of
missing a meeting, being late for an appointment or having my ice cream melt
over being treated like I am a second class citizen.

If I truly want equality, then I have to be willing to make the sacrifices
to stand up for myself and make it happen.

Julie
Courage to Dare: A Blind Woman's Quest to Train her Own Guide Dog is now
available! Get the book here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QXZSMOC