[nagdu] Researching and applying to guide dog school

David david at bakerinet.com
Wed Oct 28 18:29:51 UTC 2015

I don't remember what the specific questions from each school were, but
I think the concern is whether your pup will have enough activity to
maintain its training and whether your activity will warrant all of the
resources that have been devoted to training him or her.  As a retiree,
my routes vary.  There are several that are common during the week and I
do walk from 2 to 5 miles a day, encountering traffic and people.  I
think it is important to be very honest with the school as your answers
will also be used to match a dog to your needs.

My visits were prior to my applications.  I visited TSE many years ago
when I was negotiating a contract with the General Counsel of AT&T while
I was still using a cane.  I scheduled a visit and my recollection is
that they took me through the facility and discussed training.  I
visited GDF about 4 years ago when I was visiting friends on Long Island
-- again while I was still using a cane.  The tour included a visit to
the kennels where the dogs in training are kept and a walk through the
campus with a discussion of the application process and training
features.  At LDB I took their Accelerated Mobility Program in 2013 and
became familiar with the facility and its staff.  As I said, it was a
very tough decision between GDF and LDB, because of my great experience
at LDB and my association with Detroit.  The TSE application process was
the most technically advanced -- modern software and the ability to
complete the app via computer.  They were the slowest to respond,
however, and I never did get an appointment for my home visit.  ' Not a
criticism, mind you.  'Just the way it turned out.

David

David and GDF pup, Claire Rose, in Clearwater, FL