[nagdu] Are Training Program Policies Discriminatory? was Talking points for convos with training centers' directors

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Thu Sep 3 09:49:02 UTC 2015

Dear all,

	I am reading messages that assert the policies of NFB training
centers are discriminatory and in violation of the ADA. I am also hearing
that NFB and NAGDU should be doing something about this. I would like to
take up the second part of this first.

	Just within the past week I have been told by four people what they
believe NAGDU should be doing. One of these people, who happens to be a
leader within the organization, even seemed to assert it was my specific
responsibility to do a thing. The other three were asked if they were
members of NAGDU, though I already knew the answer to that question when I
asked it! So, if the NFB or NAGDU are to do something about something, who
is the NFB or NAGDU and to whom should this task be assigned. Just in case
there is someone who doesn't know the answer to this question, the NFB and
NAGDU are its members. It is not the president; it is not the board of
directors; these individuals are simply the ones who conduct the business of
the organization at the pleasure of the membership. The members are the ones
who do the work. Of course, the president and board of directors are
members, too, and members first.to put it still another way, we have about
350 subscribers to this list - a service and asset of the NFB and NAGDU. How
many of these subscribers are NFB or NAGDU members?

	We get a number of calls each week from guide dog users needing
assistance. Each of these individuals are asked if they are a member of the
NFB, not because it makes a difference as to whether or not we will help
them, but because it gives us a point of reference. A vast majority of those
wanting our help have an array of excuses why they are not a member. They
are willing to take advantage of our assets but unwilling to invest their
own. So, to those of you subscribing to this list and taking advantage of
our assets I ask, "Are you a member?" If not, you may want to take a few
minutes and invest $5.00 to do so. To become a member, simply visit

http://nagdu.org/membership.html

	Now, let me take up the second part of this message - the assertion
that the policies of the NFB training centers are discriminatory. If anyone
intends to discuss this issue with someone from a training center, that
person might want to formulate their argument first by gathering evidence to
support their argument. Simply stating an opinion will not be sufficient or
substantive. So, rather than respond to these assertions, I would be
interested in learning more about how such policies are discriminatory and
what provisions of the ADA or any other law or social policy supports  this
assertion. Whenever someone asserts something is so, it is incumbent upon
that person to demonstrate the validity of that assertion through the
presentation of objective evidence; it is not up to another to prove it is
not so. If one wishes to change social policy, it requires a sound,
thoughtful argument supported by factual objective evidence. Only then can a
person wishing to mount a counterpoint argument have the foundation on which
to defend a position.

	I look forward to a thoughtful, factual, substantive discussion on
this topic. I also look forward to learning that many of you have chosen to
invest in our organization by paying your $5.00 dues!

Fraternally yours,

Marion Gwizdala, President
National Association of Guide Dog Users Inc.
National Federation of the Blind
(813) 626-2789
(888) 624-3841 (Hotline)
President at nagdu.org
http://www.nagdu.org

High expectations create unlimited potential for the blind!