[nagdu] guides at NFB training centers

Marsha Drenth marsha.drenth at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 19:59:24 UTC 2015

Something else that should be considered or asked when talking to the NFB centers, what about us persons that have additional disabilities like balance issues, are hard of hearing, and so on? Unlike a majority of the guide dog users on this list, I not only use my dog for guiding, but alerting, and balance. I am not the only one on this list that has a guide who performs many tasks. Honestly, most of the folks in the NFB don't even give those persons with additional disabilities a second glance and or treating us as second class NFB members. But back to my point, what if I wanted to go to one of the vest blindness centers available. Well, first, a center would not be able to accommodate my additional disabilities. And second, I would not be able to use my dog for the additional tasks in which she does.  Now, granted I really do not need to go to an NFB training center. This is my personal opinion, that if a person is specifically deafblind, they should not. Not. Absolutely not. Go to an NFB training center, but instead go to hknc. I know that hknc is not an NFB training center, nor practices the NFB training methods. So of course hknc will never be a place in which NFB members will value or hold to the NFB standards. Its really actually really sad, hknc is a good facility, and that although the NFB has a good handle on blindness skills, they are a lung lung way from getting deafblindness and other disabilities. Okay, I have said enough, back under my rock.

Marsha drenth
email: marsha.drenth at gmail.com
Sent with my IPhone
Please note that this email communication has been sent using my iPhone. As such, I may have used dictation and had made attempts to mitigate errors. Please do not be hesitant to ask for clarification as necessary.