[nagdu] Washington DC metro area puppies

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 23:30:17 UTC 2015

Tom,
I cannot speak for all guide dog schools, but my understanding is that
if you raise a puppy fora guide dog school, you must raise one of
their puppies from their breeding lines. And even the schools who
accept donated dogs only accept donations from breeders they are
familiar with. This is because guide dogs are bred for physical health
and temperament. All breeders do not breed with these factors in
consideration, and a pup from other sources does not have a medical
history or environmental background that pups from guide dog schools
and familiar breeders do.

Check to see which guide dog schools have puppy-raising regions in
your area. Call those schools and ask what the criteria are to raise a
pup for their program. Some schools require that a person in your
household has a driver's license, so that could pose a problem. If I
didn't live in such an arrangement, I would ask for an exception,
explaining I have access to public transportation. Always worth a
shot.
I hope you find a fitting opportunity. Dogs are a blast!
--
Raven
Founder of 1AM Editing & Research

You are valuable because of your potential, not because of what you
have or what you do.

Naturally-reared guide dogs
https://groups.google.com/d/forum/nrguidedogs