[nagdu] freeze-dried dog foods

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 01:44:15 UTC 2015

Kerri,
Below is a post I wrote for my naturally-reared guide dog list. This
post was on synthetic nutrients.

Synthetic vs. whole Food nutrients
Now that you know what whole food supplements are and where to find
them, I would like for us to dive into why whole food supplements are
healthier than synthetic multivitamins, and even naturally-derived
multivitamins. You might be considering taking a multivitamin
yourself, or supplementing your dog’s home-cooked or raw diet. If you
feed commercial dog food, there are vitamin and mineral supplements in
the food. However, most multivitamin supplements are synthetic
nutrients in the form of cheap pills and powders that were concocted
in a laboratory, and not derived from whole food sources.

What You Might Not Know
The body does not processed synthetic vitamins the same way it
processes whole food vitamins. Multivitamins contain vitamins and
minerals as isolated chemicals. That means these nutrients are
isolated from their natural synergistic blends found in fresh foods.
Nutrients are meant to be processed alongside enzymes, co-enzymes,
antioxidants, probiotics, and other compounds you can only find in
whole foods. No pilled or powdered supplement will contain those
vehicles for nutrients, and so the body does not process synthetic
vitamins and minerals as nutrients.
Synthetic nutrients are derived from chemical nonfood substances, such
as limestone, petroleum, and lye. The body recognizes these synthetic
vitamins and minerals as foreign substances, and does it best to
eliminate or reject absorption of such toxins until it is given the
appropriate compounds to absorb them.

Sources of Synthetic Nutrients
Below are the names of some nutrients, their synthetic forms, and
chemicals used to create them. Following some of the listings is a
paragraph excerpted from an article, detailing the damage done by
these synthetic nutrients. If you are taking a multivitamin or feeding
commercial dog food, check to see if the synthetic names of these
nutrients are on the ingredient lists.

Vit b1 (Thiamine mononitrate): coal tar, ammonia, acetone, and hydrochloric acid
“It is much less absorbable since it isn’t bound to phosphate. It is
crystalline in structure, unlike plant-based vitamins. Many synthetic
vitamins are crystalline. Crystals in our blood stream cause damage
and mineral accumulation where it isn’t needed, like joints.”
Vit B3 (Nicotinic acid): coal tar, ammonia, acids, 3-cyanopyridine,
and formaldehyde.
Vit B6 (Pyridoxine hydrochloride ): petroleum ester, hydrochloric
acid, and formaldehyde
It isn’t readily absorbed or converted and has been shown to actually
inhibit the action of natural B6 in the body. It also has side effects
not normally found with natural food sources of this vitamin.
Vit B12: Cobalt and cyanide
Choline (Choline chloride): ethylene, ammonia, and hydrochloric acid
or tartaric acid.
Vit C (Ascorbic acid): genetically modified and hydrogenated corn
sugar and acetone.
It does not include the flavonoids and phytonutrients that make it work.
Vit E (dl-alpha tocopherol): refined oils, trimethylhydroquinone, and isophytol
It is not as easily absorbed, doesn’t stay as long in tissues, and is
quickly dispelled like a toxin or unknown chemical.
Vit K (menadione): coal tar derivatives, genetically modified and
hydrogenated soybean oil, hydrochloric acid and nickel
It is considered highly toxic and damages the immune system.
Read the article to learn about other synthetic nutrients:

Natural vs. Synthetic Vitamins – What’s the Big Difference?
http://www.sunwarrior.com/news/natural-vs-synthetic-vitamins/

What’s the Alternative?
The nutritional herbs and sea vegetables discussed earlier this week
are the best supplements for any diet. These foods are rich in
essential nutrients in their natural forms and complexes.

Here are the articles on whole food supplements:

1. 5 Nutritious Herbs Every Dog Needs by Joyce Belcher
http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/5-nutritious-herbs-every-dog-needs/

2. Nutritional Herbs Your Dog Shouldn’t Be Without
http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/nutritional-herbs-your-dog/

3. Vitamin-Rich Herbs for Your Pets
http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/vitamin-rich-herbs-for-your-pets/

4. Sea Vegetables and Their Health Benefits for Dogs by Lori Rose Lic
BSH Homeopathic Medicine
http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/sea-vegetables-and-their-health-benefits-for-dogs/

You cannot give sea vegetables to your dog whole, so purchasing them
in capsule or tablet form is best. Two choice websites are
supersup.com and vitaminshop.com.

And of course, there are several more articles below. The fourth
article is extremely lengthy since it is a research paper.

1. The Differences Between Synthetic and Natural Vitamins
http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/synthetic-vs-natural-vitamins/

2. Synthetic Vitamins and Minerals in Dog Foods
http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/synthetic-vitamins-and-minerals-in-dog-foods/

3. All About Where Vitamin Supplements Come From
http://www.precisionnutrition.com/all-about-vitamin-supplements

4. The Truth About Vitamins in Nutritional Supplements
http://www.doctorsresearch.com/articles4.html

5. The Stunning Truth about "Complete and Balanced" Pet Foods...
http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2010/11/04/nutrition-provided-by-your-pet-cat-food-or-pet-dog-food.aspx

Happy reading!
--
Raven
Founder of 1AM Editing & Research

You are valuable because of your potential, not because of what you
have or what you do.

Naturally-reared guide dogs
https://groups.google.com/d/forum/nrguidedogs