[nagdu] submitted video for GDA

Lisa Belville missktlab1217 at frontier.com
Thu Sep 10 19:07:17 UTC 2015

Hi, John.

Good luck with your GDA application.

I sent my video in as the last part of my application in early November 2014
and had a phone interview in early December.  I found out I was accepted in
early January of this year and I just graduated in the June through July
class.
The student to trainer ratio is good, we had 10 people in our class, a mix
of retrains and first time handlers.  There were three full time instructors
and all of them had worked with our dogs numerous times before we were
matched, so they all had techniques and tricks for learning how to work with
our specific dog.  Also, they're good about listening to you on an
individual level.

As Robert said, you get unconditional ownership upon graduating.  Also, they
don't hover over you as far as enforcing schedules regarding relieving.
yes, There is a set schedule for feeding, watering and relieving, and they
do take note of who is outside and whose dog is doing what, but after the
first week they stopped using the building PA system to remind us, so it was
our responsibility to keep track of the time.  It was no big deal for those
of us with previous dog experience, but new were getting a taste of dog care
while they had access to constant help that wasn't intrusive.  One guy used
the Bark ringtone on his iPhone as his reminder sound.

Over all I am very pleased with the experience and the dog I got.  All of
our dogs were at least two years old, and we did obedience daily in various
situations.  My dog has the best house manners of any of my guide dogs for
being a green dog, and is picking up on things slowly but surely.  We have
very odd curbs so this is something I'm working with her on.

Oh, which reminds me, they're very big on using your cane in the building
while your dog is healing on leash.  They strongly encourage you to use the
cane to show the dog new areas if the dog isn't picking up on them quickly.
I've even been given the suggestion that I use my cane to work a route with
a particularly nasty offset intersection before trying it with my dog.  This
suggestion was given after looking at a video of that intersection that was
part of my application.  I've also had a trainer use Google Earth to look at
this same intersection and give me tips and tricks over the phone.

Lisa

Lisa Belville
missktlab1217 at frontier.com

Duct tape can't fix stupid ......... but it can  muffle the sound!