[NAGDU] guide dogs and unfamiliar routes

Danielle Sykora dsykora29 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 01:14:39 UTC 2016

I definitely think a dog should be able to handle this. It's up to you
to know where you are going, not the dog. If you know you need to go
straight for three blocks, turn left, and find the third building on
the right, your dog should be able to follow these directions with
minimal difficulty no matter how familiar the environment is. The dog
might be a little hesitant to say find the correct door inside, but he
should be able to walk in a straight line, stopping for curbs and
moving around obstacles without totally freaking out.

I don't really have the resources or motivation to go to a new city on
my own, but I know I could if I had to. I've worked my dog in plenty
of environments that weren't extremely familiar to me, and he loves
the challenge.

Danielle and Thai