[NAGDU] guide dogs and unfamiliar routes

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Tue Apr 19 10:24:54 UTC 2016

Yes, I work my dogs in unfamiliar areas, sometimes in other cities.  They do
fine.  Usually there is some oddity they have never seen before and they
don't always get it perfect the first time, but close enough.  For example
there is a city about an hour away where the downtown sidewalks are huge,
like 20 feet or more.  Monty walks right down the middle, but then gets a
little confused about where to line up for the street crossing.  Jetta
likes the left edge so I need to remind her to keep right.  There are other
small bumps that we encounter, but nothing that seriously impacts our safety
or causes huge delays.

Julie
Courage to Dare: A Blind Woman's Quest to Train her Own Guide Dog is now
available! Get the book here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QXZSMOC