[NAGDU] guide dogs and unfamiliar routes

Michael Hingson mike at michaelhingson.com
Tue Apr 19 01:24:39 UTC 2016

Hi all,

A guide dog guides. This means that you need to know where you are going and to direct the dog.

I travel to unfamiliar cities all the time. I ask for directions to a location or I use my GPS. If I take Africa then I use Africa. I may get lost because I was not given proper directions including relevant land marks, but I still use my guide dog.

I do use a cane especially when I am going to be traveling in an area quite a lot. The purpose for my cane use is to find all those relevant land marks I won't find with a guide dog. However, after using the cane I use Africa again.

Frankly, I think we spend way too much time talking about routes and not enough time learning how to be aware of our surroundings and how to travel to any general place. O&M instructors have gotten too many of us into a route mode of thinking and so we get lost when we leave familiar areas. While new places may be unfamiliar they should NOT be daunting.

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson

The Michael Hingson Group, INC.
"Speaking with Vision"
Michael Hingson, President
(415) 827-4084
info at michaelhingson.com
To order Michael Hingson's new book, Running With Roselle, and check on Michael Hingson's speaking availability for your next event please visit:
www.michaelhingson.com

To purchase your own portrait of Roselle painted by the world's foremost animal artist, Ron Burns, please visit http://www.ronburns.com/roselle