[NAGDU] guide dogs and unfamiliar routes

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Tue Apr 19 15:55:08 UTC 2016

Aleeha,

I think the dog is supposed to be able to work new routes without
falling apart. Some may be less enthusiastic about new ways than others.
Mine actually like new adventures more than the same old thing and get
bored on regular routes.

I know some handlers prefer to scope out new routes with a cane so they
can learn the route before taking the dog, but I always thought that was
for the handler's sake because they orient better that way. I generally
take a cane along, in case we run into something tricky the dog and I
can't figure out together without it, but in general the dog and I can
just go and adventure. Mitzi used to get a litle grim if I would get us
lost and have to backtrack, and who can blame her? /lol/ Once we were
back on track and going places, she would cheer up again.

So I'm with you. I use a dog to enhance my travel, and that means going
where we need to go whether it's the same old places or somewhere new.

hth,

Tami