[NAGDU] guide dogs and unfamiliar routes

Lisa Belville missktlab1217 at frontier.com
Tue Apr 19 16:58:04 UTC 2016

Hi, Aleeha.

I got my dog from GDA nine months ago.  I've heard the same thing about
using a cane when traveling in unfamiliar areas, not just once, but several
times and from more than one trainer.

The rationale they use is that caning it around in new surroundings will
allow me to learn the area well enough to direct the dog accurately, without
getting stressed out so the dog
won't get confused, overwhelmed, etc.

I think this is a total cop out.  I agree this is in no way how we
should be directed if we have issues with our dog's work.  It's just not a
realistic or efficient way of traveling.

I don't think it's isolated to my or your school, though.  It seems like
schools are emphasizing non-dog ways to learn new areas.  I heard something
similar from
the GDF when I got my second dog ten years ago, only they suggested getting
sighted help which IMO is worse than using a cane because at least with a
cane you're still the one finding things out on your own and presumably the
dog is present so there is a teamwork dynamic happening.  that idea showed a
lack of expectation regarding the capability of the dog and it was just one
of the
many reasons why I decided to switch schools.

As someone said, this is hard enough to stomach when it's coming from an
uninformed Joe/Jane Q. Public, But it's even more frustrating when you hear
it from your school, doubly so when it seems to be their Go To response for
handling
questions about traveling in a new or challenging environment.

I'm not bashing either of our schools here, well, maybe just a bit  <grin>,
I'm just saying that this automatic suggestion that we use our canes or
sighted people in unfamiliar areas is disturbing because it smacks of a huge
lack of understanding about how blind people travel and it implies that the
dog shouldn't be expected to do normal guiding tasks in a new environment.
It seems like it's all about not stressing the dog out rather than actually
using the dog as a highly skilled travel tool.

I don't travel out of my area that much, but my town is large enough that
there are always new places to explore. I like to be spontaneous during my
ramblings.  I figure my brain, Paige's eyes and brain, along with my GPS and
a compass should be enough.

And, fair warning, unless you're an octopus capable of multitasking, using
effective cane technique while using a healing dog, and the GPS/compass
combo is stressful in itself.    I've been
home with Paige for just over nine months.  I've tried the cane, and I've
determined that Paige works best without it.  First, she knows she's off the
clock even if she's healing while in harness.  GDA doesn't use leash
guiding, so holding the leash while the harness is on means Paige doesn't
need to really do anything except default obedience, which she has always
done, thank Dog Secondly, Paige seems to see new places with a fresh eye, so
she seems more focused.  Maybe it's because we haven't been home
long enough to create really bad habits LOL I don't know, but I've
completely scrapped the notion of using the cane with her because I think we
do better as a team without any additional input other than what I can gleem
from my surroundings with my senses, feet and GPS and the occasional highly
skilled sighted help.

To be sure, there will always be room in my tool box for my cane and
appropriate sighted help.  But I don't expect to automatically need those
when traveling in an unfamiliar area with a dog, even a green dog.  I get
that there are situations where using a cane to find something is quicker
then expecting the dog to target it on the first or second go around,
especially if it's in a place where there are several options and many
chances to get it wrong, so you need the dog to get it ASAP.  But this isn't
a daily
occurance for most of us, and I don't think it's condusive to safe,
efficient travel.

The over all training I got with Paige was fabulous.  Her memory is amazing,
her in harness and off leash manners and basic
obedience are far above those of either of my last dogs.  Her work ethic is
excellent.  I can show her something and give her massive amounts of praise
or a treat and she gets it and retains it without the need for me to keep
giving her treat rewards.  Moreover, we weren't/aren't expected to provide
constant treat rewards.  The trainers didn't treat us like children or
assume we were incapable of taking care of ourselves or our dogs and we got
complete, unconditional  ownership when training was done.  That's why this
idea of using a cane in new areas was such a shock to me.  I know other
grads in my class expressed the same concerns.  I've told my trainers how I
feel about this and how it seems to send a bad impression about what we
should expect from our dogs.  Paige is my first dog from this school, so I
don't know if this is a philosophical issue they actively promote or if it
is one of those quirks some trainers have.  I do
wish I'd known about this tendency before I trained with Paige.  I'm not
saying it would have been a deal breaker, but I think it would have given me
some pause or at least made me ask more questions about this aspect of their
training.

Lisa

Lisa Belville
missktlab1217 at frontier.com

Never make the same mistake twice. There are so many new ones, try a
different one each day.

Lisa Belville
missktlab1217 at frontier.com