[NAGDU] topics please

S L Johnson SLJohnson25 at comcast.net
Thu Apr 21 22:03:55 UTC 2016

Dar:

Part of the problem with the so called poop dance and her being touched is
that Pilot does not teach their dogs to tolerate being touched.  I wish they
did, it sure would make it easier for us when we bring them home.  The way
they have have their relief area set up, you cannot even practice this on
class and get a trainer to help.  However, all is not lost.  I have taught
Eva to let me touch her.  It took a long time but, she finally let's me do
it if she relieves herself when we are out in public.  You start by
gradually getting her used to going on a shorter leash than the usual six
feet of a Pilot leash.  This way you are closer to her, not having to try
and follow her all over the place.  Then keep talking to her in a very calm
voice encouraging her to relieve herself.  over time shorten up on the leash
a bit more so gradually you get her to a place that is good for you.  At
first Eva tried to move away from me and pull to get more leash but she soon
realized that the leash was not going to grow and so she had to go where she
was.  Then once your dog allows you to step closer to her then remind her to
stay once she stops moving around.  Remind her to stay so she doesn't jump
up quickly running away so you are not able to locate the spot.  Gently run
your hand down the leash toward the collar, all the time reminding her to
stay.  Once you get to the collar, just follow the center of her back to
feel her position.  I talk gently to Eva and touch her back with a very
light gentle touch praising her quietly so she will stay.  Then I place my
left foot near her tail and that puts me in the right place to pick up the
waste.  With the female if she is urinating she will feel almost like a sit.
If she is defecating she will have a rounded feel to her back.  Hopefully
this is a good explanation but maybe other folks will have other ideas.  I
did have a strong conversation while on class at Pilot telling them that
they should consider revising their relief area and teaching the dogs to
allow being touched during relief.  Anyway, that is my two cents an Eva's
four paws worth of info.  Bye for now.

Sandra and Eva