[NAGDU] Tapering off clicker

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Thu Aug 4 12:42:41 UTC 2016

My best answer of how and when to taper away from clicker is, trial and
error.  That probably isn't what you wanted to hear, but it's been my
experience.  I do exactly what you are doing...use the clicker and treats
until behavior is established.  Then randomize the c/t to 7 of 10 or two of
three or whatever feels like it might work.  Do that for a few days then
step back another notch.  Repeat until c/t is gone.  Always offer praise
though.

You can use your tongue against the roof of your mouth to make a click noise
if you forget the plastic do-dad.  It's like the sounds kids make when they
are imitating a horses clip clop hooves You can also substitute praise for
the treat when you are phasing out the clicker.  So maybe the first step is
to click every time, but only give a treat 75% and praise only the other
25%.  It might make the transition smoother to keep the click longer and
phase out the treats separately.

Hope that makes a little sense.  I quit coffee and some days I'm just not
sure if my ideas make any sense to anyone but me.

Julie
Courage to Dare: A Blind Woman's Quest to Train her Own Guide Dog is now
available! Get the book here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QXZSMOC