[NAGDU] FW: [Njagdu] Attacks on guide dog leave him, owner nervous

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Wed Aug 10 11:51:33 UTC 2016

Newspaper article on dog attacks in Florida.

Tracy

Attacks on guide dog leave him, owner nervous

By  Britt Kennerly,

FLORIDA TODAY 12:06 a.m. EDT August 7, 2016

Many of us have been there: A dog approaches, on a leash or running free,
and seems aggressive.

Now imagine you're in that scary situation, but you're blind and being
assisted by a guide dog. Worse, a hostile dog attacks the animal whose love
and help give you freedom.

Jennifer Cleveland, who's been legally blind since 2009, and her beloved
poodle, Frank Cleveland, have lived that nightmare four times.

She's had enough.

Three times, an assault on Frank by a dog on a leash happened in public
places. In the latest incident, Frank, who's 6 1/2 years old, was jumped by
a dog

running loose on an Indialantic beach where dogs, except for guide or
service dogs, are not allowed.

Frank, Cleveland's lifeline for the past four years and a hit on Facebook,
was left traumatized and scared of other canines.

Cleveland's on edge, too; having trouble sleeping.

"Frank is my life, my freedom, my eyes," said Cleveland, a 43-year-old yoga
instructor. "He's extremely stressed out, scared and nervous. When you can't
see what's going on to help, his having to defend himself and help me ...
it's frightening. We were attacked in my community, where I should be safe,
free

to move about. And if Frank can't get past his fear, he'll have to retire."

The Melbourne woman filed a complaint after the fourth episode and has stern
words for anyone who lets a pet run wild.

What you're doing is illegal. Think about others who might be on the
receiving end of your pet's aggression.

And if you and your restrained pet approach someone with a guide dog, rein
your dog in and allow the others to safely proceed.

"I have a little vision, but the first time happened under a shadow. I had
no vision at all," Cleveland said. "I could hear what was going on and
kicked my leg out, and just happened to kick the other dog."

Sometimes, such violent scenarios aren't reported. In some cases, Cleveland
said, law enforcement officers aren't familiar with the state statute
dealing with attacks on service dogs.

Cleveland hopes with education, that can change.

>From Jan. 1 through Aug. 5, Brevard County Animal Services had responded to
approximately 324 calls for service regarding "at-large animals," said Cpl.
David Jacobs, spokesman for Brevard County Sheriff's Office.

While not all of those animals were dogs, he said, during that time period
Animal Services issued approximately 184 citations and 54 warnings for
failure to properly secure, and approximately 138 citations and 18 warnings
for animal-at-large.

If someone needs to pursue a complaint against someone after a dog attack,
they should immediately contact law enforcement and/or seek medical
attention, Jacobs said. Florida Statute

413.081,

he said, specifically outlines that a person who, "with reckless disregard,
injures or kills, or permits a dog that he or she owns or is in the
immediate control of to injure or kill, a service animal commits a
misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in statutes

775.082

 or

775.083."

County ordinance

14-55

 further defines the responsibility of owners to keep control of their
animals, Jacobs said.

"All dog owners should be educated and comply with the laws and ordinances
where they live," he said. "Compliance is important for the safety and
security of all involved, similar to how drivers should know all rules of
the road and abide by such laws."

The head trainer at Pilot Dogs in Columbus, Ohio, where Frank was schooled,
was ready to put Cleveland and Frank on a plane to Ohio and set Frank up for
retraining. For now, Frank and Cleveland are working with Ambassador
Bullies, a South Brevard-based dog training program whose trainers are
working to

ease Frank's fear of other dogs.

If there's progress in a couple of weeks, the duo may have a future
together. If there's no improvement, Cleveland will have to take Frank to
Ohio for

retraining, with no promise as to whether they can remain a team.

Cleveland's vision of her future without her canine companion is clear.

She'd be heartbroken.

"Because of Frank, I'm able to move freely through the community ... go out
and walk; go to the beach without fear of being lost or helpless," she said.
"He takes care of me. He loves to work and has to be able to tell he can
safely do his job. And if anything happens to him, my freedom is taken
away."

Source:

http://www.floridatoday.com/story/opinion/2016/08/07/kennerly-attacks-guide-
dog-leave-him-owner-nervous/88063448/