[NAGDU] Knowing where I am, was leader dog for the blind denile

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Tue Aug 23 14:35:05 UTC 2016

I understand what Dar was saying.  When she was in class, she wasn't too
concerned about learning the street names, because she wouldn't be in that
town very long.  I did the same, last time I was in Morristown.  My
trainer said from the get-go that she didn't care if we memorized the
routes, because she would be around anyway, and we had more important
things to be thinking about than street names.  I couldn't agree more.

I didn't know the street names in my neighborhood for years.  I knew the
main ones, and just called the others 1, 2, 3, ....  If I got lost walking
around, I'd ask someone which way was the main street, or head toward
where I thought it was.  And I still get, and give, directions like "It's
on the CVS block", or "It's right before Amazing Savings."  Now I have
GPS, I've learned some of the street names.  It's useful, but not
essential.
Tracy

>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nagdu_nfbnet.org/blindcowgirl1993%40