[NAGDU] [nagdu] Blanket Prosciption Against Advance Notice

Buddy Brannan buddy at brannan.name
Fri Dec 2 18:16:26 UTC 2016

Hi Marion,

I was going to ask about this myself, but I couldn't figure out exactly how I wanted to address it without, as you say, being too contentious. At what point does a reasonable accommodation become unreasonable? It's like when the amusement parks, as they sometimes will, allow people with disabilities to cut the line. Disney did this, and rich folks would hire people in wheelchairs to escort them so they could take their little darlings into the park and get the "special" benefit. Certainly there are conditions where it is difficult or impossible for someone to stand in line. I'm thinking of things like those people who can't sweat and will overheat in 70-degree temps if they're not careful. Yep, that's really a thing. I have no problem with that if someone really is unable to handle the line. But if you can handle standing in line like everyone else, how can someone in good conscience, first take such a benefit, and then on the other complain when they get denied the ability to ride for "safety reasons"?

What about preboarding? I will generally preboard, mostly because I get approached for it. I don't ask to preboard, but I'll usually go if it's offered. In that case, as in all cases, I have to weigh the costs and benefits of this service, accommodation, whatever it is. Not having to hold up the line of people getting on the plane while I find someplace for my bags, keep my dog out from underfoot, get my dog stowed, and all the rest, seems like a pretty fair trade, since getting a dog settled under the seat after throwing bags overhead can definitely take a minute. I'm fairly certain that the folks coming in the plane behind me if I went in under general boarding would find this tradeoff more acceptable as well, since they would then have one less thing to wait for. What are the tradeoffs, the costs and benefits, of getting an upgraded seat for which one did not pay? Discuss.

--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: 814-860-3194
Email: buddy at brannan.name