[NAGDU] Counter-surfer is back

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Sat Dec 3 00:21:55 UTC 2016

Tracy,

What's the deal with napkins? Loki is a champion napkin eater and will
take a napkin off the table if it's sitting beside food. We generally
use light, small paper napkins or half paper towels, and he shreds them,
so they haven't hurt him yet. He's to the point where he only snags
napkins on special occasions, like when he's bored or stressed, but
still! He also likes cloth napkins and place mats, but those he takes to
the couch or the bed and shakes them to make sure I know to come make
him give them to me. Goober! I think the paper ones stick to his mouth
when he tries to drop them, so by the time I reach him there are only
shreds left. He also has a weakness for butter.

I honestly don't know of any magic way to cure the problem of counter
surfing other than to keep at it. And you're right. Once they make a
good score off the counter, then it's that much harder to convince them
not to keep trying. Aargh! I think the can full of coins would work if
the sound of the coins startles the dog into getting away from the
counter. With Zay, a foot stomp is enough if she doesn't get off on
command. Loki is good with a quiet "off" and "leave it." I reward him
for that, which has the added advantage of not leading him to be sneaky.
Much. When we first moved in with Wayne, who is sighted, Mitzi thought
it was hilarious to let him see her putting her nose where it didn't
belong, just so he could bust her at it. I think the reason Loki has
never taken much to counter surfing for food is that Zay is not about to
let him get to anything first. Unfortunately, when he got tall enough to
look over the top of the kitchen island to eye remainders of beef roast
and such, Zay used him as her point man and scored some good roast beef
she wouldn't have known about otherwise. She was a bit of a monster for
awhile after that, but she's mostly cured again. She's not long and
stretchy like the poodles so makes more noise when she wants to check
out the counter, so I can catch her at it from a distance and remind
her. For awhile, I would have to go to her and push her away with my
knee, which I would do quietly but rudely. Then she started responding
to "off" again and started reducing her surfing regimen.

Setting Krokus up a time or two is probably a good idea, especially if
he has a bell or something so you will hear him from a distance. Then
use whatever command or method you use to call him away or inspire him
to leave the temptation. Could you just shake the coin can to startle
him? Or roll it his direction. I think it's the sound that matters. If
he doesn't have much startle response, then it might not be very
effective. Mostly I find that if one of my dogs backslides on something,
the best solution is to go back to an earlier training version of what
worked before, then move through the same steps to bring the dog back up
to snuff. Mostly, that works really well, and we go through the training
steps quickly.

I'm having to keep an eye on Loki, since he took advantage of company
distraction to score some butter. At least this time, it wasn't two
whole fresh cubes of the stuff. /lol/ Once I busted him and pushed the
butter back a ways, he teased me to play the leave it game but hasn't
tried for it again. Whew! We will be having company and disruption for a
while, so I'm going to have to be on my toes, I guess.

Then there's Mitzi. She gave up counter surfing years ago and has been
innocent as a babe... Until a week or so ago, when she just up and
snagged something right in front of our faces. What was that about? She
hasn't repeated the crime, so I guess she just had a brain blip or
something. So all my dogs are monsters. /lol/

hth,

Tami