[NAGDU] Fake Service Dogs Redux (Cross Posted)

David david at bakerinet.com
Fri Feb 5 23:21:30 UTC 2016

Unfortunately, I think all this fake service dog news is stirring up a
lot of stuff right now.

For the record, I have been, and I am, a big Costco fan and have had
incredible service from their employees.  I am also impressed with the
quality of their products.  However, I had an incident at Costco
yesterday where I was told by the person at the door that if Claire Rose
was a service animal I needed to fill out a form.  I told the person
that I did not need to fill out a form, which two questions I was
willing to answer, and that I had already answered one of them.  He did
not ask what Claire Rose did for me, and told me that it was corporate
policy and that I had to fill out the form.  I was in a hurry so I
walked past him.  After my denial of service from Uber earlier in the
day, I probably was bit grumpy.

I called and left a message for the store manager.  He returned my call
today and said that there was no form for anyone to fill out, but that
people at the door were told to ask customers with service animals to
read a memo informing them that Costco could not allow service animals
to ride in carts.  This sounds entirely reasonable to me from a health
standpoint.  We talked for quite a while and I think the guy at the door
is going to get some retraining.  We had a long discussion about the
problem stores are having with fake service animals and how they feel
that they are stuck once the person says that Fluffy is a service
animal.  I explained that animals that misbehave are very likely not
service animals.  He said he also understood that people with legitimate
service animals would likely not put them in carts, or would their
animals bark and snarl at customers.

This problem is not going to go away, folks.  Companies obviously
believe that their hands are tied.  When so many people increasingly
feel entitled to bring their pets anywhere they wish, it is
lawsuit-suicide for stores and restaurants to call the police in the
event that it turns out that the dog that appears to be untrained is
actually a trained epilepsy, insulin, or whatever, alerter, even in
states where fake service animal legislation is in place. after all, how
are police going to determine whether the dog is a fake, or not. The
criminal statutes for faking it simply have no reliable method for
enforcement and we will increasingly become the targets of suspicion and
accusation. I don't think that there are any easy answers, but we're
seeing a surge of reactions from airline passengers and news
organizations and we need a unified solution, not a state by state
dribble of ineffective patches.

The public is becoming angry.  Store and restaurant owners are becoming
frustrated.  We are getting angry.

In my opinion, because of the free-for-all attitude among those who want
pet privileges equal to ours, I think the time has come to try to
address a federal certificate, or ID, that perhaps is training school
triggered in the case of program trained animals, or maybe regulations
legitimizing training school IDs. We are also going to have to bite the
bullet and figure out how to get self-trained animals certified without
creating yet another bureaucracy.   The turmoil is not going to calm and
I think we need to be proactive.  With so many having worked so hard to
win our protected status, it is a bit of a disappointment to think that
it could be eroded.  There is no doubt in my mind, however, that the
fake dog issue will erode that status if we don't collectively figure
out how best to effectively deal with it.

David and Claire Rose in Clearwater, FL