[NAGDU] Dog Attack and A Question About Distractions

Elise Berkley bravaegf at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 16 16:48:48 UTC 2016

My goodness, Danielle.  I know that was scary.  Yesterday, Becky and I were
walking downtown Long Beach.  Becky has a little problem with being
distracted by other dogs.  She is so loving and she thinks all other dogs
are as loving and friendly as her.  So, she went up to greet a passing dog.
I felt her speed up, but was too late to get her back.  The other dog
started snarling and snapping at Becky, and she backed up from the other dog
while I was pulling her leash.  Becky was not hurt.  The problem I had with
this incident was:
1)  First, I have to work with Becky and distractions of other dogs; and
2)  The owner knew her dog was aggressive, and did not say anything about it
at all until I pulled Becky back.  Then, she said "Oh, sorry!" and kept on
walking.
I believe that, if you know your dog is that aggressive against other dogs,
when you are passing another dog, let the owner know that your dog does not
like other dogs.  That way, the other owner can make a wide circle from the
aggressive dog, or have their dog sit while the owner and aggressive dog
passees.

Needless to say, I was a little perturbed at the other owner.  Does anyone
have any suggestions for me to train Becky better on not losing her
concentration while working?  It is primarily when we pass other dogs.
thanks.
Elise and Becky