[NAGDU] Lab in the lab

Danielle Sykora dsykora29 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 15:56:00 UTC 2016

I've had my dog in many lab courses including two chemistry labs, an
environmental lab (a blend of physics, chemistry, biology, and
geology), and a soils lab. What I've always done is try to find a lab
table/work station that's kind of out of the way, and where people
won't be walking passed too much. I have my dog lay behind me, on the
opposite side of where the chemicals or what ever I'm working with are
set up. For example, in one of my chemistry classes, I sat at the
table in the back, where there was some extra room behind me between
the table and the wall. I sat on the right hand side, with my lab
partner(s) to the left and the chemicals set up in front of them or
sort of between us, making sure they stayed to the left. My dog laid
behind me, on my right side.

A crate or tie down is also an option, but for me personally, I've
never found it necessary. I make sure there's nothing on the floor
right in front of my dog that he might be tempted to eat, but once he
lays down he is not getting up again until it's time to leave. All of
my labs have been done in pairs or groups, and luckily my lab partners
have generally been great about getting anything we need once the
experiments start, so I don't have to walk around very much.

Good luck,
Danielle and Thai