[NAGDU] [nagdu] thunderstorm anxiety

Caitlyn Furness caitlyn.furness at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 19:39:37 UTC 2016

Danielle,

One of my shepherds, Nicky, had horrible anxiety around thunderstorms and fireworks.

What worked for him were a couple of things: I got him a crate and used it during the storms/fireworks.  this gave him a safe and quieter place to hang out in.  Get the plastic airline crate, though, not the wire type.  I bought and used a thunder shirt.  this really did help a great deal.  It got so that when a storm happened, Nicky would grab the shirt off it’s hook and bring it to me to  put it on him!  I used an herbal calming paste that I got from Pet Smart.  The main ingredient was tryptophan, which is an amino acid that’s calming(think thanksgiving turkey after meal sleepiness!).  Sorry, I don’t have any left, and I can’t remember the name of it, either!

Other things I tried, but that didn’t work either at all or well were: counter conditioning with food, melatonin, trying to play with him with his favourite toy during the storm.

For me, if the thunder shirt and the paste and crate didn’t work, I’d have gone so far as to get drugs from the vet as my next step.

hth,
Cait and Maggie