[NAGDU] Guide dog schools

David david at bakerinet.com
Fri Jul 22 12:26:15 UTC 2016

Dear Andy,

I was accepted at Leader Dogs for the Blind in Rochester, Michigan the
same day I was accepted at GDF.  It made for a very difficult decision
as I had done my mobility training at Leader and I am originally from
Detroit.  I like the facility, the staff and the location.  I also had
visited GDF in Smithtown some years before. The deciding factor for me
was the training program.  At Leader they had a 26 day program with
about 5 students per trainer.  That meant that in a two and one half
hour training session, the student could be out with the trainer for
half an hour and sit with their pup for 2 hours.  I'm retired and the
length of the program was not a critical issue, but I think I would have
gone stir crazy.  I found that the down time even during the one on one
five day mobility training was exasperating.

GDF had moved to a two week program with 2 students for one trainer.
It is a tough program for a first timer, because there is a lot to learn
and internalize.  I felt a couple of more days would have been helpful,
but GDF has regional trainers and they are very generous with their home
training and their support  after the program.  GDF provides a one time
$200 stipend against expenses. They make all arrangements for
transportation and pickup for travel from the airport to Smithtown and
back home again.  They do not charge a fee, or charge for expenses.
They carry medications that you can purchase at a steep discount
directly from the Foundation. The student can choose to own their dog.

I know several people with wonderful dogs from Leader, GDF, and TSE.

Feel free to send me a private message if you need anything more specific.

David and Claire Rose in Clearwater, FL